Monday, July 13, 2015

I'm back!!!!

The end of the school year is such a busy time for schools, especially a one-person tech department for 1000 students!  I've missed so many of my Twitter chats and I'm definitely late in updating my blog.  So, I'm going to try and be better about blogging and sharing my ideas and ideas that I've learned from others.

Today, I attended #edcampLDR in Columbus, OH.  I've written about other edcamps I've participated in, but this one was different.  EdcampLDR was for school leaders - from teacher leaders all the way to superintendents.  It was another opportunity to connect with other Tech Directors and school leaders from not only Ohio, but West Virginia as well.  The Columbus edcamp was one of 15 edcampLDR unconferences going on concurrently around the country.  By following the #edcampLDR tag on Twitter, not only could I share things that I learned today, but also learned from others shared as well.  

Here are some of my takeaways from today's event.....

  1. Teachers need to be not only innovators of learning; but facilitators of student innovation as well.
  2. Questions are more important than the answers.
  3. We, as teachers and school leaders, need to tear down the cultural divides that get in the way of collaboration among education stakeholders.
  4. Building our brand is important.  Learn how to market your yourself to stand out in a crowd of candidates.
  5. PD at school should be done "edcamp" style.  Teachers will have increased buy-in and learn more if they can drive the learning.  Not everyone needs the same PD.
  6. Collaborating with your PLN is amazing!  You can share a link on Twitter asking for suggestions and get 7 pages of responses!!!  I asked for Chrome Apps and Extensions to use and here's what we got!
  7. We can learn more together than we can alone!

Want to find out more about what happened at #edcampldr today, check out the link to the archive below!


No comments:

Post a Comment